Deputy Director General – Partnerships, Regions and Impact
Role: To provide oversight and strategic direction to staff in Regions, Partnership Office, Protocol, Capacity Development Unit and Impact and Extension Team
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management and leadership
- Line management of ICRAF’s five Regional Programmes: working closely with i) Deputy Director General -Research to assist with links/synergies with the Science Domains and global projects; and ii) Deputy Director General –Corporate Services to provide oversight on regional and country performance, staffing, administration and operations;
- Serve as a member of the Centre’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and participate in strategic planning and decision-making;
- Guide and support the capacity strengthening efforts of the Centre, including oversight of the Capacity Development Unit;
- Represent ICRAF at important global and regional fora;
- Carry out any other tasks related to this portfolio as may be assigned by the Director General.
- Guide the development and management of host country agreements in countries where ICRAF has a presence.
- Guide the Centre's efforts to form and maintain strategic partnerships with relevant organizations for the delivery of Agroforestry Research for Development;
- Link partnering efforts with donor relations and resource mobilization activities at the Centre through the Programs Development Unit;
- Position agroforestry favorably for partners to expand and deepen their agroforestry agendas and capacities;
- Monitor and report internally and to the CGIAR Consortium, as appropriately, on matters relating to partnerships;
- Guide ICRAF on handling of Hosted Institutions and also assist ICRAF scientists hosted by partner organizations.
Qualifications and experience
- PhD in agricultural, agroforestry, forestry, natural resources management, social sciences or a related discipline
- Strong professional affiliations
- 10 – 15 years of experience, with at least 5 years in developing countries, managing partnerships, Impact and administration responsibilities at a senior level.
Skills and Competencies
- A good understanding of the role of partnership and impact assessment in a knowledge based organization
- Strong conflict resolution and track record in managing collaborative relationships with a range of partners, including the private sector, in the agricultural or knowledge based institutions
- Detailed awareness and knowledge of some areas of the global agroforestry research agenda.
- An established record of research achievements, including a substantive history of scientific publication
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication ability in English, additional language (French /Spanish) is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and manage interdisciplinary, gender-inclusive and multi-cultural teams
- Excellent leadership skills and ability to make convincing presentations at high level
- Extensive familiarity with tropical developing countries and regions
- Demonstrated ability for decision making and follow ups.
Terms of offer
This position is remunerated on international terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a nine (9) month probation period.
How to apply
- A motivational letter illustrating your suitability for the position.
- Detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers and email addresses, and fax details if available.
Address these to:
The Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Indicate “DDG-PR&I” on the subject line.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.