Temporary Nursery Assistant
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: www.worldagroforestry.org
About the position
The position of Temporary Nursery Assistant will be based at our headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and will report directly to the Nursery Manager. The incumbent will assist in the running and management of nursery activities.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Nursery routine work including potting, seed and seedling management, plant watering and weeding on seedling beds.
2. Nursery facility maintenance (nursery tidying, propagators, greenhouse, and weeding around the facility).
3. Monitoring and data collection of set experiments as per scientist instruction and requirements.
4. Preparing nursery compost and application of chemical (pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers, etc) to the seedling when necessary as per scientist instruction.
5. Facilitating ICRAF ceremonial tree planting exercises.
1. KCSE or O-level certificate. A certificate or diploma in forestry or agricultural-related course will be an added advantage.
2. Work experience in tree nurseries or landscaping and ability to follow instructions as directed by supervisor(s).
3. Ability to collect accurate data.
4. Able to write and speak English.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of six (6) months, renewable subject to assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position and availability of resources.
How to apply
Applications for the position must include:
• A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position against the listed requirements and salary expectations.
• A detailed curriculum vitae.
• The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone, fax numbers and email addresses.
All correspondence should be addressed to the Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), PO Box 30677, Nairobi, Kenya OR via email: firstname.lastname@example.org and should indicate “Application for Temporary Nursery assistant” on their application letters and email submissions.
Applications will be considered until 03 February 2012. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.