The International Centre for Research in Agroforestry (hereinafter referred to as “ICRAF” and also known by the brand name “World Agroforestry Centre”) is seeking Expressions of Interest from organizations and countries willing to host the 2019 WCA event. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, ICRAF has six regional offices located in India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malawi, China and Cameroon. The 2019 World Congress on Agroforestry is part of a continuing, iterative reform process that builds on the previous two WCAs in 2009 and 2014. The Congress will seek to raise the local, regional and global profile of agroforestry and significantly increase awareness, support, engagement and investment. It will create a deliberate and tangible legacy in terms of recognition, partnerships, investments and impact, and produce a global roadmap for agroforestry with clear targets.
Agroforestry has carved out a distinct niche as a robust land management system which is at the heart of the global community’s commitment to banish hunger and poverty, and rebuild resilient rural landscapes. It has the potential to make substantial contributions to food security in poor countries, as well as the most intractable land management problems of the 21st century, such as climate change mitigation and adaptation, rehabilitation of degraded lands and restoring the environmental integrity of rich and poor nations alike.
The Congress will be expected to attract between 1200 and 1500 participants, including pre-eminent researchers, senior politicians and donors, and major businesses with concerns for sustainable development, civil society, farmers, youth groups and institutions of higher learning/tertiary.
The venue for the 2019 World Congress will be selected based on Expressions of Interest from organizations and countries taking into consideration criteria listed below.
In submitting an Expression of Interest to host the 2019 World Congress on Agroforestry a candidate country/organization indicates its acceptance of these rules, procedures and obligations arising out of a successful application.
This document is non-binding.
2. CONGRESS FORMAT
Building on the successes and lessons learned from WCA 2009 and 2014, the 2019 WCA will follow a similar pattern of an open, inclusive and active dialogue, leading to agreed actions. Accordingly, the programme for the event is to be designed in such a way as to encourage feedback and dialogue opportunities, enabling participants to have more time and space for networking and discussion. It will draw from prior meetings and consultations on key issues, as well as use of e-dialogues and other approaches to minimize travel costs, where feasible.
3. BENEFITS TO AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HOST COUNTRY
The World Congress on Agroforestry brings together a wide range of stakeholders from around the world and provides a unique opportunity for global visibility and recognition of the host country as a key player in agroforestry/agricultural/forestry research innovation and development. It will bring an international profile and focus to the agroforestry issues in the country and region concerned, and is an opportunity to showcase national agroforestry innovations as well as being a premier venue for exchanges on agroforestry across the world, especially in developing country contexts.
The host organization/country will be responsible for:
- Proposing a suitable venue for the World Congress on Agroforestry 2019
- Identifying the hosting organizations for WCA 2019 who undertake to deliver a successful Congress and letters indicating institutional support;
- Delivering a credible Plan that clearly articulates:
- Resources – financial (in cash and in kind) and human – already available to assure the success of a world class event
- Naming the key members of the organizing committee – institutions and individuals
- Local hosting arrangements, including organizing the venue, accommodation, visa and protocol for participants;
- Recruitment process for other members to the Organizing Committee and associated taskforces;
- A resource mobilization plan to secure additional funding for the Congress;
- Requisite budgetary, organizational and institutional structures to deliver a successful WCA 2019;
- A public relations and marketing plan;
- A logistics plan that assures delivery of successful Congress logistics on the ground, including external ‘virtual’ participation, facilitating travel and issuance of visas for legitimate attendees
4. EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
In addition to the points noted above, a successful applicant will:
- Be supportive and engaged with agroforestry and sustainable development programmes and activities;
- Have active programmes in agroforestry, agroforestry research and development;
- Be committed to advancing agroforestry in the country and region;
- Have links with international agroforestry programmes on research and development;
- Offer points of interest and amenities that could add value to the participants’ visit to the host country;
- Ensure that the venue can be easily accessed from around the world, and that the Conference venue can be accessed from the facilities where participants will be accommodated; and
- Ensure that the Conference venue has good internet facilities and staff with good command of English, French and/or Spanish.
The host country should have a venue that can offer:
- Hotel accommodation close to a suitable venue, in a variety of price ranges, including accessibility for people with restricted mobility (e.g., wheelchairs);
- Capacity for opening/closing plenary sessions for all participants, with interpreter booths;
- Exhibition space able to accommodate at least 200 posters per day;
- Associated catering facilities;
- Access to modern telecommunications and internet facilities and provision of audio-visual equipment to an acceptable standard;
- Extra rooms for concurrent sessions during the event;
- Two or more staff offices for the duration of the Congress, plus at least two days prior to the first day of the WCA; and
- Reasonable charges for the venue associated services (e.g., catering, audio-visuals, meeting room, printing costs, rental costs for poster boards, comparative costs of hotel rooms, etc.).
Expressions of Interest Requirements
Should indicate the country’s particular interest in hosting the 2019 WCA Global Event as detailed above and may also provide any additional information that they deem relevant, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Letter(s) of support from other agricultural, forestry, or agroforestry organizations in the country;
- Names and contact information of persons with whom the WCA Organizing Committee can follow up and discuss matters such as convention and destination venues; and
The Expression of Interest should consider the expectations and requirements and indicate a strong level of national endorsement for the 2019 WCA Global event.
The Expression of Interest should be submitted as a formal letter with accompanying documentation.
Countries interested in hosting the 2019 WCA should submit an Expression of Interest by February 15th, 2017 to:
WCA Selection Committee
World Agroforestry Centre
UN Avenue, Gigiri, P.O. Box 30677 – 00100
Tel: + 254 20 722 4218
REVIEW OF EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST AND SELECTION
The Expressions of Interest will be reviewed by a Selection Committee constituted by ICRAF in anticipation of the establishment of the nascent International Union of Agroforestry (IUAF), considering the stated criteria. Organizations/Countries may be asked for additional information as necessary to inform key decisions. A selection will be made based on the Expression of Interest that best meets the stated criteria and matches the conditions and needs of the Congress.
SOME KEY NOTES
- The decision of the Selection Committee on the location of the Congress, within the selected Host Country, and the hosting organization is final.
- The successful hosts will be notified of the decision by April 30, 2017.