Maximizing on-farm productivity of trees and agroforestry systems
Smallholder farmers in the tropics have enjoyed few livelihood improvements because agricultural productivity has stagnated, prices for basic necessities and inputs have risen and farmers are poorly integrated into local and regional markets. Climate change, rainfall variability, and degraded land and ecosystem services have kept agricultural productivity low.
Our research focuses on understanding how agroforestry systems can function better, be more profitable and be sustainable in the long term. It includes investigations into nutrient cycling among trees, animals and crops; using local ecological knowledge to develop improved agroforestry management; expanding tree species diversity; developing coping mechanisms for climate variability; enhancing water use efficiency by trees and agroforestry systems; and considering tree-soil interactions to match species to sites and systems.
Our policy-related work includes analyzing the effects of tenure security to inform debates on access, use and rights to land, water and tree resources.
Our objectives are to develop approaches for:
- Enhanced nutrient cycling amongst trees, animals and crops.
- Managing tree-soil interactions by matching species to sites and systems.
- Acquisition, assessment and integration of local knowledge with science to develop improved agroforestry management principles, communication and negotiation.
- Promotion of on-farm tree species diversity.
- Coping mechanisms for climate-induced rainfall variability.
- Adoption, promotion and impact of agroforestry and natural resource management technologies.
- Systems science
- Markets, Value chains and Institutions
- Tree Diversity, Domestication and Delivery
- SD3 Home
- Research questions
- Tree diversity
- Projects and links
- Genetic Resources unit
- African Orphan Crops Consortium
- Position papers
- SD3 Team
- Land health decisions
- Environmental services
- Climate change
- climate change home
- About Us
- Accelerating Adoption of Agroforestry in Western Kenya (Triple A) Project
- Agroforestry Food Security Programme
- Climate Technology Centre Network: Technical Assistance and Capacity Building
- Global Framework for Climate Services
- Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Action plan for Kenya’s dairy sector
- Programme for the Development of Alternative Biofuel Crops
- The BREAD Project
- Viability of the Villum Experiment (VOVE)
- Contact Us