Research and Development Themes in the Philippines
ICRAF combines excellence in scientific research and development (R&D) to address poverty, hunger and environmental needs through collaborative programs and partnerships in the Philippines. The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is proud to be part of a multi-sector effort to promote Agroforestry in the Philippines, especially among swidden agriculturists (slash-and-burn farmers) and upland farmers. As a knowledge-based institution, we support and enhance the capacity of farmers to become better agroforesters.
As part of the Southeast Asian Regional Research Programme, the Philippine R&D program now focuses on these themes:
- Agroforestry systems that help restore soil fertility and regenerate degraded lands.
- Climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Market-driven tree cultivation systems that help alleviate the rural poor in the uplands and consequently improve their health and nutrition.
- Agroforestry systems that enhance environmental services such as watershed protection, biodiversity conservation, and carbon sequestration.
- Capacity building for agroforestry research and development.
ICRAF works on government policy reform as well as on enlarging farmers’ technical options in collaboration with NGOs, universities, regional and national research and development institutions, and national and local government agencies.
|© 2008 World Agroforestry Centre. All Rights Reserved. Copyright & Disclaimer|