||Southeast Asian Network for Agroforestry Education (SEANAFE)|
|Project contact||:||Dr. Jesus Fernandez|
|Timeframe||:||1999 to 2010|
|Funding||:||Sweden International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)|
|Location & Partners||:||Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam|
|Brochures||:||download here (in PDF)|
The Southeast Asian Network for Agroforestry (SEANAFE) is a network of 85 member institutions in five country networks; in Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam.
Since 1999, SEANAFE has been working towards improving agroforestry education, training, research and extension, and contributing to socioeconomic development, empowerment of farming communities and sustainable natural resource and environmental management in the Southeast Asian region.
The network assists member countries to:
- Prioritize educational needs in agroforestry and natural resources management;
- Access and analyze research outputs, policies, and trends in forestry, agroforestry and natural resources management;
- Agree on regional strategies for developing curricula and teaching materials;
- Strengthen the teaching and research capacities of lecturers in agroforestry and natural resources management ;
- Improve access to appropriate teaching resources;
- Develop and adapt teaching methods and materials to national settings;
- Share agroforestry knowledge and management techniques through media and direct participation;
- Collaborate at the national, regional and international levels on agroforestry projects;
- Strengthen partnerships with government extension agencies, NGOs and farmer organizations;
- Advocate for improved agroforestry education policy among member institutions; and
- Produce graduates with practical knowledge and leadership skills in agroforestry and natural resources management to further national and regional development.
In each of the five countries, agroforestry networks operate autonomously but they are all guided by the SEANAFE board. The World Agroforestry Centre hosts the network and provides technical advice as required.
SEANAFE works closely with established networks, government agencies, and regional and international development organizations in building capacities in agroforestry and natural resources education. It also welcomes collaboration with civil society and other non-government organizations involved in promoting the practice and science of agroforestry through either formal or non-formal education.
SEANAFE is currently in its second phase of operation (2005-2009) and focusing on three major projects.
- Markets for agroforestry tree products;
- Agroforestry landscape analyses; and
- Accelerating forest and environmental policy implementation.
These projects are broadly aimed at strengthening the teaching capacities of universities and colleges in the region on subjects relating to agroforestry. The projects include major activities such as regional training, national case studies and the development of curriculum modules and training materials. Products produced under these projects are to be translated into five languages and training will disseminate outputs to at least 100 lecturers from SEANAFE member institutions.
World Agroforestry Centre
ICRAF Southeast Asia Regional Office
Jl. CIFOR, Situ Gede
Sindang Barang, Bogor 16115
PO Box 161 Bogor 16001, Indonesia
Ph: +62 251 8625415, fax: +62 251 8625416
|World Agroforestry Centre. All Rights Reserved. Copyright & Disclaimer|